Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Getting Started

The good news has arrived. I have been asked to create a New Digital Media time-based work for the Kandinsky Prize in Russia. The Awards Ceremony takes place in Moscow on December 9, 2010. This blog will be the start of the entire journey. I will study the works of Kandinsky, and see how the process begins.

I can say that at the age of 9, my mother took me to the Guggenheim Museum to look at the works of Klee, Miro, and Kandinsky. I was always fascinated why art that looked so childish was in a museum. I thought I could do similar work. I even told my mother that. She wacked me on top of my head. It took a lifetime to prove it to her. It also took half a lifetime to understand the great works of these masters. Why simplicity is so important, and how hard it is to be simple. And when one thinks something is simple, it really is complex.

I could use this space and time to pontificate over the work of Kandinsky but that is completely unnecessary. We all know his genius. His lyrical voice of expression. The happiness that emanates out of each work. The art stands on its own. Does not need an explanation or deep thought, though the work is rather complex. My goal is to get into into the mind of Kandinsky and go off into my own journey. To learn from his works. To make new discoveries. To see and experience a new dimension of myself through the process.

This blog shall mark the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment